Cohen/Mainzer's tax practice focuses on the wide variety of critical issues related to federal, state and international income tax, property, sales and use taxes, and the other taxes and fees that impact our clients.
We have expertise in the areas frequently encountered by businesses in a variety of industries, including:
- Complex corporate, limited liability company and limited partnership structures designed to meet the needs of investors and members of senior management, including those relevant to investment advisors.
- Tax considerations relevant to acquisitions, recapitalizations and restructuring transactions.
- Taxation of executive compensation, stock and other equity based options, other forms of deferred compensation and related issues.
- Tax implications of complex securities and other financial instruments.
- Tax issues relevant to forming and structuring domestic and offshore hedge funds, private equity funds and investment managers.
- Tax implications relevant to structuring investment management fees and other compensation for investment related services.
- We have a continuing focus on assisting clients in navigating the significant tax changes affecting, and anticipated to affect, the investment management industry.
In addition to the industry specific tax issues, our tax practice includes the broader universe of federal, state and international tax issues affecting businesses and their owners in general. This includes a focus on tax efficiency in structuring commercial transactions and forming corporations, limited liability companies, limited partnerships and other business entities. It also includes representation of clients before the various California and United States taxing authorities.